When you speak of the Bohemian style of dressing, the happiest things come to mind. Flowing maxis, fringe, music festivals, and flowers in your hair – all the touchstones of a freespirit. Aside from Coachella, channeling the hippie-chic vibe is perfect for occasions ranging from barbeque parties to a holiday wardrobe. How you do it? Just let the good energies flow!
Whether you’re a whims-and-fancy dresser or all out boho, this one’s quite a fun aesthetic to play with. Here are some fun style ideas if you want to explore!
- The simplest way to dabble in boho for beginners is to mix up the look with another – try boho-luxe with a basic black/white peasant-sleeved tunic dress and dress it up with gold accessories. Or try the same basic boho dress in another avatar – sporty/boho with sneakers, a floppy sunhat and long chains.
- You can even go the other way round and channel boho only through your accessories; it gives a stylish, subtle touch. Throw on a super fringed overthrow, try a flower wreath as a headpiece, tan gladiators and call it a day. For jewellery, go with lots of beads, braids, feathers, precious stones and pom-pommed baubles. However, balance is key; for example, if you’re wearing a statement fringed overthrow, avoid a fringed bag.
- Stock your wardrobe with printed kaftans, suede boots (or studded booties for an edge), billowy scarves, maxi skirt, floral maxi dresses, tan waist belts, Oxfords, button-down flannel/chambray tops, wide-leg pants, and lots of crochet. These will go with any outfit you choose to style.
- The best part about this laidback look is that you can experiment with tons of head accessories (flea-maret finds mostly) and hairstyle galore – chic headwraps, turbands, floral headbands, thin hippie forehead bands. Hairstyles like French braids, the classic milk braids, high ponytails, loose textured wavy hair go well.
- Word of caution: boho gone wrong looks sloppy as hell. Go easy on colours, layering, length and fit of the outfit. Beware of clothes that are oversized, stop at two layers and make sure the overall fit of the outfit is well-balanced; for example, if you choose an oversized sweater/top, pair it with tight-fitting pants.
Just let your inner artist come to the fore and express its style!
Our Boho Style Inspiration : Vanessa Hudgens